Are you aware of the oral health risks of malocclusions? Malocclusions consist of bad bites and misalignments that are often associated with jaw structure problems or even tooth slippage and movements that have occurred. If your teeth have moved out of alignment, malocclusions are present. Common types of malocclusions are as follows:
– Overbites, also known as over jets or buck teeth, arise when the upper front incisors stick out farther than the lower incisors. Excessive forms of overbites are known as deep bites or closed bites.
– Open bites arise when the tops and the bottoms of your incisors do not line up correctly.
– Underbites, also known as bulldog teeth, occur when the lower incisors stick out farther than the upper incisors.
– If you have a misplaced midline, it means that the center of your upper teeth does not align with the center of your lower teeth.
– In situations where your jaw malocclusions exist, crossbites may be present. Typically, a crossbite occurs when your lower jaw is longer than the upper jaw.
– Spacing malocclusions are present when there is too much space between teeth.
– Rotation malocclusions exist when your teeth are improperly rotated or turned.
– Transposition malocclusions refer to teeth that have erupted in the wrong area along your gum line.
– In situations of too many teeth in your mouth or not enough space between teeth, overcrowded teeth can cause several malocclusions to arise.
Our team at TinHan Orthodontics focuses on a selection of orthodontic treatments to suit all your oral health care needs. If you would like an oral exam from Dr. Erik TinHan, please schedule an appointment to come see us at our orthodontic office in Pearl City, Hawaii. You are welcome to call us at 808-485-2444.